Granite; Luxuriously Elegant, Sophisticatedly Classy
Granite is a natural mineral stone that is mined in the depths of Ongole, Andhra Pradesh, India. It has become the most popular granite class among its contemporaries due to its black color with small to large specs of metallic compound that dazzles and shines when polished thus giving it the term “Black Galaxy”. These glowing specs can be attributed to the presence of ferrous rich Enstatine. The alternative names for it are Star Galaxy and Gold Galaxy.
The Black Galaxy’s geological technical term is Gabbric Anorthosite. It is the most famous granite of its kind. Due to its great demand, businessmen try to imitate it with accuracy but never equaled its hardness. Its mineral hardness under Mohs scale is 6.5 categorized as moderately hard granite. It is considered a good construction material and passes the American Society for Testing and Materials ASTM Standard.
Falling under the granite category, it is best to learn more about the facts about granite. Granite is derived from “granum”, a Latin word which means grain. All granites have grains since it is classified under Igneous rock. Igneous meaning “fire” in Latin, granites are formed when lava and magma cools down. The grains of the granite may be traced from the melted compound that may have been combined with the cooling of the granite along with some natural lines called veins.
Granite is a mixture of 35% Quartz, 45% Feldspar and 20% Potassium. Quarrying large blocks only totals to 40% while the 60% are smaller stones. Granite has a high bearing capacity, tensile and compressive strengths. Unlike marble and ceramic tiles, granite tiles can be cut without major flaws. It is an ideal flooring material in bathrooms due to its low porosity meaning the void fraction or void space ratio is low categorized as compact material thus water cannot penetrate through.
Granite as a natural stone finish adds class and elegance to architectural finishes. It can be grinded and buffed to suit a client’s need and specification. It can be used for edges, sides, flooring and tops. Granite finishing can be polished, antiqued, honed and leathered. Granite commercially available and comes in different color ranges.
White Granite – White Galaxy, Silver White, Platinum White, Imperial White and White Tiger
Green Granite – Hassan Green, Tropical Green, Apple Green, Seaweed Green and Forest Green
Brown Granite – Copper Silk, Golden Brown, Indian Juprana, Indian Mahogany, Sapphire Brown and Ivory Brown
Blue Granite – Himalayan Blue, Ocean Blue, Sky Blue, Lavender Blue and Sapphire Blue
Red Granite – Ruby Red, New Imperial Red, Maple Red, Multicolor Red,
Pink Granite – Rosy Pink and Imperial Pink
Grey Granite – Bala Flower, Sierra Grey, Silver Pearl and Sardinia Grey
Black Granite – Black Pearl
Yellow Granite – Crystal Yellow, Rose Silk, Tiger Skin, Siva Yellow, Sunrise Yellow and Marigold
Cream Granite – Royal Cream, Raw Silk and Ivory Chiffon
Ideal Application of Granite:
Black granite is an ideal construction material specifically as an architectural stone for aesthetic purposes. It may be utilized as an interior or exterior finishing material. Its black property displays elegance while its shiny polish finish imposes class. It is guaranteed stain proof due to its low void fraction. It can be used as a finishing material for:
Due to its ideal hardness rating, high bearing capacity and high tensile and compressive strength, it is also an ideal material for the construction of:
Description: Color – dark black
General Use: Flooring, walling and wall divider, cladding, kitchen counter, table top and façade.
Origin: Ongole, Cheemakurti, Bodawada, Prakasam District, Andhra Pradesh in Southern India
Compressive Strength: 2,777 kg/cm²
Compressive Strength after Gelidity: 2,696 kg/cm²
Ultimate Tensile Strength: 274 Kg/cm²
Coefficient of Thermal Expansion: 0.0045mm/mcº
Water Absorption: 0.004%
Impact Test, Minimum Fall Height: 68 cm
Specific Gravity: 2.96 Kg/cu.m
Hardness (Moh’s Scale): 6.5
Black Galaxy granite is the first choice of home owners, interior and exterior designers, architects and structural engineers. It is a fashionable stone that exudes class and elegance, a great home finishing material that can last a lifetime.